There are occasions when you may need to provide Council with personal information such as where you live, how old you are and more, so that we can assist you with an enquiry or complete a task. The information we collect is used only for the purpose it is intended. Council does not share information with any third parties.
Privacy Laws in Victoria
Privacy is a basic human right. All Victorian government agencies including Councils must comply with privacy laws. These laws govern the handling of personal and health information.
There are three privacy laws applicable in Victoria:
- Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988 (applies to Commonwealth agencies and private enterprise)
- Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (applies to State Government and Local Government)
- Health Records Act 2001 (applies to State Government, Local Government and private enterprise)
There are 10 Privacy Principles (IPPs) relevant to the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014. The Privacy Principles guide Councils in how to: Get the right information - To the right people - For the right reason - In the right way - At the right time.
Information covered by privacy laws:
- Personal Information eg. names, addresses, phone numbers
- Sensitive Information eg. racial or ethnic origin, religious beliefs, criminal records, political views, sexual preferences, membership of groups e.g. unions, political parties
- Health Information eg. medical records and assessments (children, youth, elderly), health care (aged and disability), palliative care (physical and intellectual), family day care, child care, immunisation
Protecting your personal information
The City of Kingston only collects your personal and health information for the purpose of delivering Council services or if required by law. Individuals can access their own personal and health information. We have applied formal processes and safeguards to ensure your personal information is protected at all times. For example:
- We have a dedicated Privacy Officer
- We have a Privacy Committee
- We follow the Local Government Privacy Guide
- We have an Information Services Security Policy
- We have a professional relationship with the Victorian Privacy and Health Services Commissioners
Privacy enquiries and breaches
Should you wish to discuss a privacy related matter, please contact our Privacy Officer on 1300 653 356.
If you believe Council has breached your privacy, please forward a written complaint to:
City of Kingston
Level 1, 1230 Nepean Highway
Cheltenham VIC 3192